Friday, April 07, 2017

The Spanish Mack

My weekends were getting routine. You know, the usual sports, movies, and traveling, that’s about it. I needed some variety. That’s exactly what I got yesterday. I went fishing for the first time ever. Before yesterday, I had always thought fishing to be one of the most boring activities you could ever do. I couldn’t have been more wrong. I had so much fun yesterday, probably because it was my first time.

I met these two brothers from Goa while playing basketball at our complex. Really cool guys. They told me they go fishing once in a while and asked me if I wanted to join. That’s how I ended up going. We left at 5 in the morning. I can’t remember the last time I woke up at 5 on a Sunday. So I thought there better be a good reason for this. The plan was to catch the fish just when they come out in search of their breakfast. The two brothers looked like experts in fishing. They seemed to know what to do and more importantly where to look for the fish. First they caught the bait with a net, you know, really small fish. Then they hooked the bait to the fishing rod and used it to catch the bigger ones. It seemed so easy when they did it. Then I got to try it out. The technique is to feel the fish get a hold of the bait, and then pull it out. The problem for me was that half the time I couldn’t feel it, and the times I did feel it, I would pull it out too soon or too late. I had at least 10 baits stolen from my rod by the fish! They were getting the better of me. It’s as if the fish told themselves, “This guy seems to be a rookie, let’s keep stealing his bait”. Meanwhile, the two brothers were having great success. Time was running out. The pressure to catch a fish was increasing with every passing minute. Finally, after 3 hours of patience, it happened. I caught my first fish ever! A moment to cherish!

The fish was a Spanish Mack. I don’t know who came up with that name but I think it’s a really cool name. Mack is short for Mackerel. It must have been 2 pounds and 20 inches long. After a while, we moved to a different location in pursuit of Groupers. That’s when the best thing happened. There was a Dolphin, trying to eat away the baits of every one trying to fish there. At one moment, it came after mine and I pulled up my fishing rod at the last minute, causing the Dolphin to jump! It was like being in a Dolphin show. It is certainly fun to play with a dolphin from way up on the pier! The brothers didn’t like this at all, because it was driving away all the fish that were there. But I enjoyed it. We didn’t have any more luck. I ended up with just that one fish and the brothers with 5. The other guy who came with us caught two but had to throw them back since they didn’t meet the minimum size requirements. It was a nice way to spend the day and I wouldn’t rule out pursuing fishing as a hobby. I can readily think of 3 real world advantages of learning to fish.
– If all the computers in the world crash, and there’s no more software jobs, I can go back to my grand parents village and fish for a living.
– If I ever get marooned on a God forsaken island like Captain Jack, I can fish to survive.
– It can be a good dating activity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home