Friday, April 07, 2017

Week 2

Week 2 of my stay here was much better than week 1. Work wise I feel a lot better and my room got better too. But there’s only one small problem which seemed bigger when I checked the cnn site this morning out of curiosity. Current temperature in Louisville – 39F, Current temperature in Tampa – 80F. What more can I say? I bought a portable GPS this weekend to help me get around the city. In true desi style, I used it for the first time to go to the temple. It was just a coincidence. I say desi, but it’s more specifically a Hindu culture thing. If you use anything for the first time, you present it to God before you do it. I guess it's to get God's blessings so that it will last longer. Kids are even made to present their shirts before wearing them for the first time. Can you believe it? Don't ask me the logic behind it. I couldn't explain half the things that we do. The usual answer I always got to complicated questions related to culture was "Just Do IT"! Nike just stole that caption from Hindu parents. I had to go to the temple cos it was Diwali and I had nothing better to do. This year's Diwali was a total contrast to last year when I was in India and celebrated it with my cousins. It was after a 7 year gap that I got to celebrate it. While it was a total blast, it was also a bit scary. You should be in India during this time of the year to know what I mean. On Diwali day itself, it’s ok, cos you know every one's going to fire crackers and you watch out for them. But it's not that easy. You could be walking on the street at 10 in the morning 5 days before Diwali and all of a sudden you could hear a "boom" under your feet. Just like the traffic, it's really amazing that no one gets hurt. My aunt had bought me an Indian outfit (sherwani) for the occasion and I happened to comment casually that I liked it. That’s it; since then every relative of mine has been sending me similar outfits. That’s the problem with family members; they show their love in extreme measures. I used to like a particular sweet when I was a kid and to this day they send me tons and tons of that through my friends. My poor friends are the sufferers. I still like it, but common, no ordinary human being can eat so much of it. The airlines can come up with any weight and item restrictions, but it won’t change them. These clothes that they sent, I don't know how you can possibly use them in the US more than twice or thrice a year. I could have worn one of them this Saturday, but the idiot that I am I left them at home back in Florida. Instead I turned up at the temple with torn jeans and a denim jacket (as per my friend’s advice), while all the other guys were impressing the girls with their desi outfits. In any case, I go to the temple just to worship, unlike a lot of other guys who go to check out the girls.

I spent the whole of Sunday watching football and ironing and arranging my shirt-pant pairs for the week. I am actually disgusted with the number of shirts I have. It’s a bad thing for a guy to say this but I think I have too many shirts. I swear to God I will not buy any more till my birthday next year and kindly don’t present me any shirts. Coming back to the GPS, its working pretty good. The way to test a GPS is to miss a turn and then see how long it takes to recalculate the directions. It did ok. But there’s one thing that’s annoying about it. If you listen to music in your car with a lot of volume, like I do, you have to keep looking at it to see the directions cos you can’t hear the lady’s voice. I am not sure if there’s a solution to this problem. I wonder how much I can trust it. Say I am driving to Florida from here. Would I be able to trust it totally and follow its directions all the way? I guess I should, or else there is no point in spending all that money. I hope I don’t end up some where in Montana! This is the 2nd electronic item I bought in two weeks. The first was an LCD monitor that I am yet to use. This week I am going to buy a shower clock. Hot showers are even more precious in this weather and I want to make sure that I don’t come out of my shower too early worrying about being late for work. As you can see, I am just trying to make my already lazy life even lazier.

1 Comments:

Blogger Isha said...

lol already lazy life lazier? .. tell me about it.. i go to extreme measures to breed my sin of sloth :P

10/25/2006 4:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home