Friday, April 07, 2017

I am such a “KLUTZ”!

This has to be one of the sickest feelings in the world. I went home for lunch and cooked myself some pasta. It took me about half an hour to do it. So after adding the sauce I was all prepared to eat it. I put the bowl on the table and tried to drag the table towards the couch, all the while talking to a friend on the phone. Yup, you guessed it right. It tripped over and fell on the carpet. All of it. So I spent the next half hour cleaning the carpet and using curse words that I haven’t in a while. And instead of eating pasta with tomato and mushroom sauce at home watching Sports Center, I found myself eating spicy chicken crunch wrap supreme from taco bell at my desk.

I thought I was way past the days of dropping plates with rice and glasses with drinks on the carpet and the couch. I know; I used to be disgusting. I still do that in the kitchen (because it’s tiles) but I am very careful in the living room. In fact, if any of my friends drop something on the carpet, I give them “a look”. And then this happens to me today. When I asked my friend if these kinds of spilling accidents happen with her, (secretly wishing for her to say yes), she answered with an emphatic “NO”! She then went on to explain how she carries bowls with two hands and not one, how she tries to do only one thing at a time, how she DOESN’T put bowls on the edge of the tables and gave me a few other "eating in the living room" etiquette lessons.

I began to ask myself what difference there was between a 4 year old kid and me. Why does the tea boil over when I make it, even when I am standing right next to it? They say that a watching kettle never boils. But in my case, a watching kettle always boils over! Why does the spoon ALWAYS fall out of the utensils when I cook something? And why does the glass break and cut my finger while I clean it (happened last week btw)? With my confidence shattered, I went back to work. My colleague and friend Tom said, "So Kiran, who was the special date today? That was a long lunch you had with her". Ya right...like that was the only thing missing in my lunch...more confidence broken. I told him what had happened and showed him the taco bell bag as if to prove it. He said without hesitating that I was a “klutz” and then proceeded to explain that it was slang for a clumsy person. At this point, all hope was lost. Thankfully, he also added, “That’s what my wife calls me every time I drop something!” Glad to know that I am not the only “klutz” around.

1 Comments:

Blogger Hitchcock said...

you are getting jobless"er" and better and better at blogging!! well..i was reading this post.and dropped apple juice all over the carpet..hahaha. laughed for a while at the irony that is life!
also, u write this thing abt fairness ..and then when i dont put pressure on the umpire while i keep for a caught behind.. u scold me...i dont believe u.. talk abt hypocricy!!!!

7/28/2006 1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home