Friday, April 07, 2017

A question of the mind

Of all the things that I do or try to do, the most difficult seems to be studying. When all is said and done with my life, I think the one stand out statement to summarize it would be – “It’s a miracle that this guy got a double Masters”! My biggest problem is that I am an imperfect perfectionist when it comes to studies. Sounds complicated right? It is! The thing is, I want to be perfect when I study, in the sense that I want to understand each and every line of what I read. The problem is that there comes a point when what I read is tough to grasp with the first few readings. At this point, I tell myself that I will continue reading the next day. A day becomes a week and a week becomes a month and before I realize it, I fall behind. Any book I read, I do well for the first 4-5 chapters. Then I pretty much don’t touch the book. You can tell it if you saw the markings in my books. To quote a popular Telugu movie joke, “4 chapters happy, then start(ed) struggles!” This has been the story of my life, right from the kindergarten days.

It’s not as if I lack determination. For me to even complete the 4 chapters takes a whole lot of determination. Because the moment I open the book, all sorts of crazy thoughts enter my mind; thoughts ranging from Bipasha Basu’s complexion to the crocodile hunter’s adventures. It takes a lot to ward off such thoughts from the mind and concentrate on the task at hand. As you see, it’s a question of the mind and not the heart. I once considered taking classes to help me concentrate better. But then I thought that it would be even tougher to concentrate on concentrating. So I gave up that idea. If you have any ideas that you have tried and think that can help me, please do share. Meanwhile, in the adjacent room, my brother works on his computer as if the world is going to crash if he stops. The more I look at him, the more I am convinced that God has a quota system based on families to allocate intelligence to people. I mean, I think God gives a quota of intelligence to kids in the same family. He then distributes it among them depending on the mood He is in that day. I guess He decided my brother got 95% and I got 5%. That’s the only logical explanation I can give on why me and my brother are so different when it comes to matters of the mind.

Anyway, my weekend was mostly dedicated to studying. I must have spent 15-20 hours studying, or rather trying to study. This must be a new weekend record for me; it’s definitely my personal best for the last 10 years. I would have to go back to pre-engineering days to check when I last did that. Other than studying, I watched the Bucs suffer another terrible loss. And my own fantasy team was humiliated. I can hardly blame my team this time, since the manager (and my co-owner) himself was busy romancing his girl friend/fiancée in California while the players were battling it out in the field. Next weekend could mean an early season ending to the Bucs and my fantasy team. That doesn’t mean I will stop watching. When it comes to sports, there is always a back-up plan. Once the Bucs are out, it becomes time to root for the New England Patriots! I like the Patriots because they are the BEST example you will ever get of a team whose sum is greater than its parts. If I ever become a college Dean, I think I will include a case study of the Patriots’ organization in the MBA program.

Ps: For those of you that do not know who Bipasha Basu is, let’s just say she is the Angelina Jolie of India.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

god level..hahahaa



-anurag

9/20/2006 7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home