Friday, April 07, 2017

Movie mania

I watched quite a few movies the last 2 weeks. "We own the night" had a good star cast and the reviews were good but it turned out to be hopeless. It was like a 80s masala Bollywood movie. I couldn't believe that Mark Wahlberg had such a meek role in the movie. We watched "Gone Baby Gone" last week. It didn't have a lot of previews leading up to the release but the story line seemed interesting and the reviews were good, so we went. It turned out to be great. The first half was slow but the 2nd half was spectacular. I think it's a good directorial debut for Ben Affleck and I think it will have an entry at the Oscars next year, just for the message it brings, if not for any thing else. The ending presents a fascinating conflict and that was my favorite part of the movie. I am very rarely philosophical and it was one of those rare moments. Some may not like the decision at the end, but I think it was the right one.

I got a big screen tv after I moved to a new apartment this month, so I watched a couple of movies on it to kind of test it. One was V for Vendetta. Some how I had missed this movie when it came out even though a lot of people had recommended it. I thought it was ok. I thought Natalie Portman was unbelievably pretty in the movie. Then I watched Casablanca. Until I watched it, I didn't know that Casablanca was a place. It was good. The story line, except for the happier ending, was very similar to "A tale of two cities", which I think is one of the best love stories ever written.

And I finally watched “Chak De India” which was good as well. As with all other sports movies, the problem with this one too was that it was very predictable. The only thing that wasn't predictable was that the final was against Australia and not Pakistan. Some of the scenes were great. Like the scene where the girls go to Malaysia and get awestruck by the facilities there. And the scene introducing all the players. It's very easy to see why the movie was such a major hit. As it is, patriotism is a big draw. Add girl power to it and it adds so many more days at the box office. I think it had been almost a year since I last watched a Hindi movie. I guess my next one won't take that long as I plan to watch Om Shanti Om later this year.

American Gangster comes out next week. I can't wait to watch this movie. With two great actors and a good director, this has the potential to be the movie of the year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home