Friday, April 07, 2017

Fascinated by Bermuda

I am a bit fascinated by Bermuda these days, thanks to their participation in the World Cup. The Bermuda triangle has always been fascinating but it's only now that I am reading a bit about Bermuda, the country. Technically, it's just a territory of the UK. As cricinfo puts is so well, the entire population of the country is 60,000, just over half the capacity of the Eden Gardens stadium in Calcutta! As I was going through Bermuda's facts and figures on wiki, 2 things struck me. One, that it has the world's highest per capita GDP. Not surprising, I thought, considering the popularity and size of the country. But the 2nd was a shocker. The national dress for men in Bermuda is, get this, the Bermuda shorts! I know Bermuda shorts are thus named cos of Bermuda, but them as business attire? They wear them to work and restaurants, some times with a blazer and tie. Amazing. Apparently, there are two different kinds of Bermuda shorts, the ones that some of us wear, and the ones that are considered formal wear. I think this still doesn't beat the Scottish Kilt, which is kind of like a gown, worn by men in Scotland wear.

By the way, if you haven't done so yet, check out the new Beyonce-Shakira song. Earth shattering video. As for the song itself, who cares? Last year, my friend and I were discussing on who was the better entertainer. I theorized that Beyonce was better looking in general but Shakira had the better moves. We decided it wouldn't be possible to judge unless they were in the same video. I think they heard our wish, and came up with this vide, but we still can't decide. It only makes it tougher. Youtube had it the last time I checked. I'm surprised that you can still get such material on youtube after the billion-dollar lawsuit filed by Viacom. When youtube first started, I was wondering how long it would take to clamp down on the copy right protected material. While it did start restricting the videos, it's not fool proof yet. Surely they cannot screen every video that's uploaded. I think the way to do it is make every person who uploads videos accountable. May be take their personal id information, and if they post any copyrighted material, hold them accountable. Not sure if that's possible, but just a thought.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When are you going to post your next Blog Uday!!!!!!

3/23/2007 7:18 AM  
Blogger Isha said...

what are you trying to do .. make utube not so much fun anymore haha lol

i didnt know bermuda was a country till da world cup either .. :)

3/24/2007 9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home