Friday, April 07, 2017

Day 6

Another day, another temple. This time it was the temple of Lord Subramanya - the God of marriages. I think you can figure out the reason why mom took me there. At first I was confused, cos I thought that the Lord of marriages was Manmadha. Apparently, he is the Lord of romance, not marriages. Us Hindus have Gods and Lords for anything and everything. Yesterday, we went to the largest temple in Vizag - Simhachalam. The drive to the temple is the second greatest form of torture. No sooner than we enter the car, my aunt goes, "driver, please turn on the bhakti music"! Now, such temples, I don't mind going to at all, even though the wait time is a bit longer. Cos they are stone temples and are a bit fascinating, and generally, all of us go there together. At the temple, the priest blessed me, "May you get married soon". Mom was over joyed by that blessing. Now she is convinced that I will get married soon, conveniently forgetting that they have been blessing me that for the past 5 years.

I finally got to do what most young guys do, that is go to the beach. Now, when I say beach, don't expect activities like jet skiing and parasailing. All we do when we go to the beach is take out our shoes/slip-ons, lift our pants and just wet our feet. Even as we do that, we hear a call from behind, "Don't go too deep!" Then we eat corn followed by ice cream. This has been the tradition for over 25 yrs now. I have great memories of the beach. When we were kids, we used to consider going to the beach a vacation (it was a 30 min drive from our home). We would always buy the "ball" ice cream, which is ice cream in a covered plastic ball. This ball had great importance for us cos it was PERFECT to play cricket even inside the home.

My niece scares me. She comes home from school at 4, changes clothes, immediately does her home work, and watches TV serials with aunt. So I took her out for pizza and gave her a lecture on the topic "All work and no play makes Jill a dull girl". I told her that if she wants to be like me, she shouldn't be too obedient and should miss at least one home work a week. Poor kids, they think I am successful cos I can buy as many chocolates, ice creams and pizzas as they want. Wish every one judged success by that. I bought her a tread mill last year, hoping that she could run on it while watching TV. But my uncle thought the tread mill took too much space in the living room, so he put it in the balcony. Now tell me, which kid in the world will run on a tread mill without any entertainment? This time I got her a muvo and I hope that that will inspire her to run.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home